Incremental human resource requirement (2013-22)
The IT and ITeS sector is expected to provide employment to over 5 million people – NSDC Report
Employment in the IT and ITeS sector
- The Indian IT & ITeS industry employs about 3 million directly and 9 million indirectly
- A majority of employment is generated through the exports business
- Exports contribute about 78 percent of the total employment in the sector
- Employment growth was high during FY02–09 period, however, it started settling down with the increasing maturity of the sector and the evolution of non-linear business models
- The sector is expected to employ about 5.1 million professionals directly in FY22 and exports are likely to dominate
Innovation, transformation and development of new expertise are the focus areas for the IT and ITeS Industry
Evolution of IT and ITeS
India scores the highest in the Global service location index
According to Global Service Location Index 2011, India has been ranked as the most favorable location for IT & ITeS off shoring. The country was ranked ahead of China, Malaysia, Egypt and other emerging nations based on three broad criteria ― financial attractiveness, people skills and availability, and business environment.
*Total score is out of 10 wherein 40 percent weightage is assigned to financial attractiveness and 30 percent each to the remaining parameters.
Source: “Offshoring Opportunities Amid Economic Turbulence GSL 2011,” A.T.Kearney, 2011, p.2